You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Windows, camera not working.

Hello, I am having some trouble with Sound Control connecting to the laptop camera. It is Windows 10, the other functions appear to work so far. When I select dumb camera or colour tracker the instrument window opens and another camera window opens, but they are both stay black. The camera is working with other things.

I have checked the camera permissions and as far as I can see they are all 'on' allowing access to desktop apps/programs.

Is there any help you can offer?

Thanks

Hey there,

Can you confirm that you've selected your camera from the dropdown menu above the camera window?

If you've done this, would you mind copying the contents of the max console window when this error occurs? You can do this by copying and pasting the messages, or taking a screen shot. This will hopefully help to identify the cause of the error.

Thanks,
Martin

Hello, there is only one option in the drop down, which is selected.

This is the log from starting the instrument

attrsize: bad number
I am the rapidmax object
bpatcher: patchcord outlet out of range: deleting patchcord
Gen working in runtime mode

This is the log from start

Error 126 loading external clang
Error 126 loading external sysaudio
serial: specified port not available
udpreceiver: binding to port 9109
Error 126 loading external jit.qt.engine
Error 126 loading external jit.viddll.engine
Error 126 loading external jit.dx.grab
jit.grab: could not load viddll video engine
jit.grab: could not allocate object
method getinfo called on invalid object
hi: hi: Game-Trak V1.3 is not a valid device name
Error 126 loading external Leapmotion
newobj: shell: No such object
mac_or_win: 2
I am the rapidmax object
bpatcher: patchcord outlet out of range: deleting patchcord
Gen working in runtime mode

Thanks

OK, there are a couple of things there I can look into – namely the "jit.grab: could not load viddll video engine". I'm not entirely sure what that means right now, but seems like the probable cause. I'll have a dig around and get back to you!

Can I confirm that you've downloaded the latest version from here?

Downloads

Hello Martin, yes the .zip was downloaded from the windows link on that page with Chrome and then extracted into the program files folder on the C: drive.

One thing which may not impact this, the first run it did not work, I got a couple of pop up warnings for missing libraries, MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll. A bit of research lead me to download the "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2019" x64 from the 'Other..' tab at the bottom of https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

It started successfully then, but Windows defender popped up with a warning about running an unknown app which I had to give the OK to run it.

And I note now, that the camera named in the drop down is the name of the standard Mac camera, so it doesn't seem to be detecting the laptop camera. I tried an external Logitech USB web cam, but this did not appear in the drop down either.

Thank you for looking into this for me.

Tim

Hello again Martin. I've been poking around and found the thread on https://cycling74.com/forums/%22error-126-loading-external-jit-viddll-engine%22-in-windows-standalone-on-some-machines

I wonder if you are the Martin T posting there?!! Anyway, I did as the OP in that thread suggested and placed the two libraries in the Sound Control folder and it has solved the issue. Everything seems to be working as it should.

Although I have it working, I will be happy to 'test' any update which includes these libraries if you make one, as it seems to only affect some machines.

I am looking forward to building some fun (aka silly) stuff with my Daughter and Sound Control.

Thanks

Tim

Aha, yes that was me! I'm glad you found it too and fixed the issue.

I worked on Sound Control in Summer 2019. There isn't anyone currently working on it full-time, but I'm planning to make an update with the included library like you mention.

Thanks for your offer to help with testing, maybe you could ping me an e-mail on mtown002@gold.ac.uk, and I'll get in touch with you at a later date?

I hope you and your daughter have fun with the software, and please post any further issues you encounter on here.

Cheers

Martin